What You Need
- Vitamix or powerful food processor
- 2 brazil nuts
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon pepitas
- 3 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 3 tablespoons flax seeds (ground is okay just reduce by one tablespoon)
- 1 washed and baked sweet potato with the skin on, cut into cubes
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup good quality oil olive.
- 1 teaspoon to 2 tablespoon of a steak seasoning spice blend.
- 1 can garbonzo beans, rinsed
- Water (maybe)
What You Do
- Place the nuts, seeds, half the olive oil and half the sweet potato (in that order) into Vitamix and fire that baby up!
- Gently increase the speed, using the tamper as needed to keep your nuts and seeds down by the blade. Which, by the way is a sure sign you are not being gentle enough. Practice makes perfect. The whole process takes about 10 seconds once perfected. Add more of the olive oil if needed.
- Turn off the Vitamix, toss in your steak seasoning and repeat the blending process.
- Once blended, do the same thing with the remaining sweet potato cubes and chick peas. Blend as smooth or chunky as you like. If it seems too thick and you have added a full 1/2 cup olive oil switch to adding water in small amounts until desired consistency is reached.
When you make this recipe it is important that you use really, good quality olive oil. We’ve tried it with blends and even other oils but nothing packs the benefit and flavor like a good quality olive oil. The Spicy Olive is top of the list for where to buy in our book. Their Chipotle and Organic Tuscan Herb are two of our favorites for this recipe.
We also learned (the hard way) that not just any steak seasoning will do. There are several that we found that did okay but we fell in love with Ultimate Steak Seasoning from our friend Mary Lenart. Not only does it taste awesome but we only need to use 1 teaspoon of seasoning. When we make this recipe with other steak seasonings we need the full 2 tablespoon. That’s 5 extra teaspoons! You can use the link to connect with Mary to have some delivered to your door.
If you do not have a Vitamix you can use a food processor for suitable results. Just know that the texture and bio-availability of nutrients will not be the same.
You can enjoy Fat Head Spread on sandwiches, with pretzels or veggies or you can eat by the spoonful. It really is that yummy.